Sunday, June 6, 2010

Bed rest!

I spent the next two or three weeks on absolute bed rest just getting up to go to the toilet. It was boring, I must admit, but all I was bothered about during this period was that my baby was alive and well. I was prepared to go to any lengths to save him. We'd  been through a lot, but this baby boy was a fighter and was going from strength to strength. What's a few weeks of bed rest when it comes to ensuring the well being of your child?
I had a list of programmes on TV lined up every day and I began crocheting, a hobby that I discovered I really like and still do to this day. A made my meals and when he went to work he left me things to eat by my bedside. Sometimes friends would come to visit, it was a bit embarrassing being in bed but it definitely made me happier to see people and be able to chat for a while.
At about 14 weeks, I was so happy to notice my belly was growing, it was a sign baby bean was ok and he was growing. Things were going so well. I had my appointment with my gynecologist this week too and couldn't wait to find out if the detachment had gotten any smaller.
The Saturday morning of my appointment I got out of bed and cautiously started to dress. I was afraid any sudden movement might harm him or make him tear from the womb again. A waited for me and was anxious too. As I leant forward to put my shoes on I felt something gush out of me. I was terrified. As I looked I was horrified to see blood. Black thick blood. Again my heart started pounding, I was sure this meant it was the end. I didn't know whether it was better to go straight to the hospital seeing as I suspected it was a miscarriage. A said we should go to the gynecologist anyway as she was just around the corner. I put on a pad and headed for the door, imagining having that dreaded operation after a miscarriage.
At the clinic we told the gynecologist what had happened, she sympathised a little and said she would be with us straight away. After a minute or so I was lying on that dreaded chair waiting to see the gynecologist's reaction first before looking at the screen. I remember saying 'please don't tell me anything bad' and she replied 'I'm not going to tell you anything bad!' which calmed me a little.
'He's fine' she said, and I looked at the screen and saw the little baby swish around nonchalantly. I suddenly burst into tears once again having suspected the baby to be dead. The doctor sympathised and understood what I must be going through. I didn't care, beany boy was alive.
The blood was due to the baby growning and pushing out the old blood from the big bruise. I was prescribed even more bed rest and after a week or so had to go back to see the doctor because I was still losing blood which was redder in appearance. It was a constant stress, I was constantly worrying about what was happening in there. I was finally prescribed daily injections of blood thinner, which I had to do myself in my thighs. I took it in turns with A.
At about 18 weeks the  pregnancy was finally classed as a physiological pregnancy, or a 'normal pregnancy' as my bleeding had completely stopped and the detachment had completely healed and to everyone's disbelief including doctors and nurses I had made a complete recovery. What a relief to not have the words 'threatened miscarriage' written on every doctors note anymore. It was an emotional event the first time I had a scan and was given the all clear. They confirmed we were expecting a boy and week after week we saw his cute little body grow at the scans. He started to become a really active baby and kicked all the time. I think this was his way of calming his mummy to let her know he's ok but of course we will never know!
The day I had the special scan to check organs and limbs were developing properly I cried too I don't even know why. The joy of seeing my baby was immense. Baby boy was fine, he was devoloping perfectly and to our amazement he was a couple of weeks ahead of his dates due to his size and weight. From this moment on I could enjoy the pregnancy and finally relax. Phew. God really does answer prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment