Saturday, July 17, 2010

34 + weeks!

What a week it has been! In and out of the chosen hospital doing test after test and booking fetal monitoring which I have to do once a week from 35 weeks.
It hasn't been easy. Rome is now in the middle of a lethal heatwave with temperatures soaring (over 40 degrees celcius) so going out in this climate is awful. I'm a sun-worshipper and I love warmer climates but anybody would be afraid of melting in this heat! It really is too hot.
I had an electrocardiogram which stated 'tachycardia' but this was due to the fact I was lying on my back (which pregnant women should never do) and I felt quite light headed and so my heartbeat went a little haywire. I also had the appointment for the epidural. The doctor explained in detail the procedure and all risks involved it was really quite scary I just wanted her to stop listing all these terrifying consequences as I was already feeling quite faint. After she'd finished A came in with my pregnancy files and we went over my blood analysis' and I got asked a few questions about general health and that of my family. I passed the tests and got written permission to have an epidural if I desired it. Yippee!
I had to have a general check up with a mid-wife and gynecologist from the hospital which went fine and now all there is left to do is book weekly fetal monitoring. We've tried on various occasions to book these but the hospital has so many patients you have to be lucky to get a place. We'll try again Monday morning and if there's no luck I'll have to book at a private clinic.
One of the most surprising events of the week was at my appointment with my private gynecologist. She calculated my baby's weight to be just over 3kg! That's much heavier than average, he should weight that when he's born! She did however finally admit that this being the case it could be that baby Flavio makes his appearance a little earlier than anticipated but of course it's impossible to know exactly.
We're starting to get excited about the birth now. I still can't imagine finally holding my baby for the first time, hearing his first cry as he's born, I just know it will be the most emotional event ever. I can't wait to kiss him and thank him for being such a little fighter and never giving up. I can't imagine how it will feel taking him home. A and I will be parents, Mother and Father! It just sounds like such an important role but I can't wait to enter into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment